Mums Warning – Baby Left in a Coma After Ingesting Washing Capsule | Bump, Baby and You
Home News Mums Warning – Baby Left in a Coma After Ingesting Washing Capsule

Mums Warning – Baby Left in a Coma After Ingesting Washing Capsule

by Kloe Forster

A baby is in coma after biting a washing detergent liquid capsule while his mum did the laundry.

Baby Pearce, who is 10 months old, is believed to have ingested some of the contents of the capsule whilst his mum’s back was turned – the toxic chemicals have burnt his stomach and caused his lungs to swell.

Doctors have told his mum and dad  that they believe Pearce will survive, but they don’t know how long his recovery will take.

The tot was rushed to hospital by his parents where he has since been put into an induced coma.

His mum, Melissa was doing her laundry when she turned around and saw her little boy holding the capsule in his mouth.

She said: “I was in the kitchen making dinner and putting the washing on. All of the children were nearby.

“One of the tablets must have fallen from the work top onto the floor.

“Before I knew it, Pearce had grabbed one and pricked the corner off it. It all happened too quickly.

“He seemed okay but I text my mum and she said to go to A&E.”

Melissa and her partner were told an ambulance could take up to an hour so they decided to drive Pearce to the hospital themselves, but they had only been in the car for 15 minutes when he began to vomit and went floppy.

Mum-of-five Melissa said: “Pearce started vomiting and having bad diarrhoea.

“He went floppy and he looked at me, but it was like he was dead behind the eyes.

“I was constantly screaming and shouting at him to make sure he was still awake.

“I didn’t know what was going on. I felt helpless.”

Upon arriving at the hospital, frantic Melissa waited for an hour while medics performed an endoscopy and found his stomach had been burned by the toxic chemicals.

The toxins caused Pearce’s respiratory system to swell and he was placed in an induced coma. He remains in the intensive care unit.

“The doctors and nurses have been amazing and told me that Pearce will survive this,” Melissa said.

“But they don’t know how long it will take for his body to recover or what damage this could do to him long-term until he wakes from the coma.

“His lungs are still full of mucous and his body is fighting off infections because his immune system is so bad.

“They said they’re just taking it minute-by-minute.

“It’s so scary not knowing what’s going on.”

Melissa has been allowed to sit in the intensive care room with her little one and staff members have allowed her to stay overnight at the hospital over the weekend in a separate room.

The distraught mum has now issued a warning to other parents about being vigilant around household cleaning products.

She continued: “I couldn’t believe how dangerous such a small amount of the liquid could be.

“I know products are poisonous but I didn’t think it would have put my baby in a coma.

“There are so many strong chemicals in just one capsule.

“Pearce swallowed a tiny amount and he’s ended up in intensive care.

“We just want to raise awareness and make sure this doesn’t happen to any other families.”

We wish Baby Pearce a speedy recovery!

Image source: The Daily Record


* indicates required

By clicking "Subscribe", you confirm that you agree to our privacy policy & consent to receiving marketing emails.

Related Posts

Leave a Comment

* By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.